Silver Equine Directory
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Silver Equine Directory

Directory for stallion owners, breeders of silver gene / silver dapple horses. Sales, want ads and discussions too!

You are not connected. Please login or register

What color would you call this Miniature?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

lotsapaw

Here are a few pictures of our mini. Not sure what color she is. Her father is a silver bay and her mother is a blue roan.

What color would you call this Miniature? Nutbutt
What color would you call this Miniature? Nutrightside
What color would you call this Miniature? Nutleft
What color would you call this Miniature? Twins

accphotography

Admin

You got the combo! Silver bay roan. Twisted Evil

ACC

Shalako

Wouldn't she be called a Red Roan Silver? bay + roan = red roan + silver = red roan silver. Very Happy

accphotography

Admin

Bay + roan = bay roan. Chestnut + roan = red roan.

Shalako

I've always heard bay + roan = red roan, chestnut + roan = strawberry roan and black + roan = blue roan.

accphotography

Admin

Ah yes. That is quite old terminology. Red roan and strawberry roan are the same thing. Bay roan was added to the equation many years ago. I suspect the reason it was changed was because many people call chestnuts "red horses" and thus saying "red roan" made people think chestnut roan. Bay roan is a much more obvious description. Even AQHA (who is admittedly behind the times) has switched to this terminology.

http://www.aqha.com/association/download/pdf/GeneticsBook.pdf

ACC

SilverDilute

SilverDilute

Beautiful mini. He for sure looks like a bay roan silver.Thanks for the link ACC. Hmm i always though chestnut roan is strawberry roan...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum