Silver Equine Directory
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Silver Equine Directory

Directory for stallion owners, breeders of silver gene / silver dapple horses. Sales, want ads and discussions too!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Silver-Pony photos

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Silver-Pony photos Empty Silver-Pony photos 4/3/2010, 2:33 am

Silver-Pony

To clarify my ponys color for everyone, I have (hopefully!) posted a few photos of him.

Silver-Pony photos Dscf3313
Here you can see the contrast between his body color and the light mane.

Silver-Pony photos Dscf0111
You can see how dark his coloring is, but also the redness showing through. Also notice the light overtones on the hocks and knees.

Silver-Pony photos Dscf3212
This clearly shows the roaning that covers his body.

Silver-Pony photos Dscf3314
This shows his tobiano, pinto registry eligible markings and as you look as it goes up over his hip, it blends in through roaning...

Silver-Pony photos Dscf3215
And along his mane he has two places where the white hair has increased and he has more roaning going on. He also has a spot on his forehead that started out as 'a few white hairs' and has progressed into a star, visible from across the arena.

2Silver-Pony photos Empty Re: Silver-Pony photos 4/3/2010, 2:04 pm

accphotography

Admin

I am 100% confident that's a brown silver. Very Happy

3Silver-Pony photos Empty Re: Silver-Pony photos 4/3/2010, 6:23 pm

Silver-Pony

Has anyone ever seen or know of another with the roaming though? I am just curious.

4Silver-Pony photos Empty Re: Silver-Pony photos 4/3/2010, 6:42 pm

accphotography

Admin

I know of a few bay silver tobianos with loads of roaning including a big roan patch on the neck similar to your guy, so I guess so. Roaning can happen on any color fwiw.

5Silver-Pony photos Empty Re: Silver-Pony photos 4/5/2010, 7:26 pm

Safyre

Safyre

I haven't responded because I don't want to confuse people. Most of Guthrie's foals have roaning. Amelia has roaning throughout her body but so does her dam. Guthrie has some roaning in his flanks. Solena has roaning throughout but her dam also has roaning. Same with Khepri and Draco.

Like ACC said roaning/rabicano can happen with any color.

http://www.SafyreStudios.com

6Silver-Pony photos Empty Re: Silver-Pony photos 4/6/2010, 12:39 pm

Silver-Pony

I have seen the roaning and otherwise sabino markings on a number of horses of different breeds. Obviously the true roan patterns in the QH's, and sabino markings on Arabians, but what is the difference between sabino and rabicano?

I am not exactly 'up to date' on all of the latest coat coloring terminology or the seemingly own language it carries with it, lol Laughing but I am learning and trying to figure it all out as we go along... Kat also has white markings on his lower lip. I have been told this bears some significance with one of the coat patterns, (I think it was sabino?) but I can't remember and am curious as to just what if any???

I have let the little guy sit and really do not much of anything but I hope to change that before too long. This year will be spent getting him in harness, into the ring and racking up accomplishments so that next year I may have something worth offering, should I decide to open his breedings to outside mares.

7Silver-Pony photos Empty Re: Silver-Pony photos 4/6/2010, 7:08 pm

accphotography

Admin

There's no way to tell if he's rabicano or not, but my bet is no. Rabicano causes the horizontal striping at the tail head called a "coon tail" and roaning through the flanks and sometimes onto the body. Since he's white there already there's no way to tell. However his roaning is too scattered to be rabicano IMO. It's probably sabino, but some of it could be tobiano.

Sabino was thought to cause white spots on the lower lip, however multiple genes will cause it as well so it's not hard core proof.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum