Silver Equine Directory
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Silver Equine Directory

Directory for stallion owners, breeders of silver gene / silver dapple horses. Sales, want ads and discussions too!

You are not connected. Please login or register

silver affecting the grey gene?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1silver affecting the grey gene? Empty silver affecting the grey gene? 1/25/2011, 11:49 am

I wonder if anyone can help me out. I've just bought a filly foal advertised as a Cremello and was advised by a friend to get her Dna tested which I have done. She is Ee Aa CrCr Gg so she is not a Cremello at all, she is a Perlino and much worse still she is carrying the dominant grey gene and will turn white, all her foals will have a 50% chance of turning white. I don't mind one white horse but hoped to breed a Palomino with her in a few years but breeding suddenly looks rather uncertain. I heard that because the Silver gene is dominant it prevents Grey which is also dominant from going completely white (if of course they do inherit the grey).
There is a German bred warmblood in England which has a Palomino base coat with a greyish mane, the breeder says it's got the Silver gene. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a common query but as a newbie can anyone help me out on how silver works with grey? Silver is very rare and pretty much unknown in the U.K...perhaps some of the Welsh breeders know a bit but I don't know anyone else to ask over here. Any help would be very much appreciated.

accphotography

Admin

Sadly you've been very misinformed. Sad For one it is pretty unlikely that she is silver (silver in Warmbloods in nearly unheard of). Silver does NOT show on red bases so one could NOT tell by looking at a palomino if it had silver or not. A gray mane on a palomino is likely due to the sooty gene. For two silver does NOT negate gray. In fact, silver enhances gray. Most foals born with both silver and gray are born white or very nearly white. It accelerates the graying process.

In your case it would actually be better if your horse did NOT have silver. As it is you still have a chance of a palomino who won't gray out of this mare, it's just not as high a percentage as you'd hoped based on the preliminary genetics information. Neutral

HTH

accphotography wrote:Sadly you've been very misinformed. Sad For one it is pretty unlikely that she is silver (silver in Warmbloods in nearly unheard of). Silver does NOT show on red bases so one could NOT tell by looking at a palomino if it had silver or not. A gray mane on a palomino is likely due to the sooty gene. For two silver does NOT negate gray. In fact, silver enhances gray. Most foals born with both silver and gray are born white or very nearly white. It accelerates the graying process.

In your case it would actually be better if your horse did NOT have silver. As it is you still have a chance of a palomino who won't gray out of this mare, it's just not as high a percentage as you'd hoped based on the preliminary genetics information. Neutral

HTH

Ah...the sooty gene...lol. How many of these colour genes are there exactly??? Well I suppose that explains a lot I just never heard of the sooty gene. I wasn't so much misinformed as listening to other people on a forum who were clearly uninformed themselves. I've been on colour calculator and I have to say my best chance of a palomino is probably to a chestnut as Bailey does have the red factor, she is Aa, Ee, CrCr, Gg so there is plenty in there for a suprise without chucking silver/sooty/champagne etc into the mix although all are lovely.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum