Silver Equine Directory
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Silver Equine Directory

Directory for stallion owners, breeders of silver gene / silver dapple horses. Sales, want ads and discussions too!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Homozygous silver?

+6
celticmist
silverlady
Silver Spring Farm
Safyre
SilverDilute
accphotography
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Homozygous silver? Empty Homozygous silver? 5/13/2009, 2:53 pm

accphotography

Admin

Is anyone aware of any homozygous silver stallions who are not miniatures? For that matter is anyone aware of ANY homozygous horses that are not miniature?

ACC

2Homozygous silver? Empty Re: Homozygous silver? 5/15/2009, 4:32 pm

SilverDilute

SilverDilute

Haven't found any but i am working on it.By any chance do you want a specific breed?

3Homozygous silver? Empty Re: Homozygous silver? 5/16/2009, 8:51 pm

accphotography

Admin

No, not really. I'm just not sure I've ever encountered one and I think it's interesting. I don't doubt their existence or anything, I'd just like to see a few. I'd suspect the majority would be in minis and RMH/KMH.

If the RIGHT one happened along... you never know. Laughing

4Homozygous silver? Empty Re: Homozygous silver? 5/17/2009, 3:39 pm

Safyre

Safyre

Talia Chiodo of Silver Spring Farm just bought Andretti MVF, bay silver AQHA colt from us. She will be breeding him to her silver paint mares in the near future. So hopefully we will start getting some homozygous silvers in non-gaited breeds. Smile

I don't know of any silver colts in the Ms Barbarella line so I don't have anyone to cross out to at this time.

Monique

http://www.SafyreStudios.com

5Homozygous silver? Empty Re: Homozygous silver? 5/17/2009, 11:07 pm

accphotography

Admin

Yeah come to think of it I don't know of any colts carrying it from that line either.

Oh I am going to PRAY that Talia's mare Bella has a ZZ colt. *faints* *drools*

ACC

6Homozygous silver? Empty Re: Homozygous silver? 7/2/2009, 10:35 am

SilverDilute

SilverDilute

Yeah that would be cool. The first ZZ horse ever. Cool

7Homozygous silver? Empty Re: Homozygous silver? 8/18/2009, 10:47 am

I'm unaware of any, however we plan on trying to produce homozygous black silver sport horses come 2011. We already have breedings to a black silver stallion and have just acquired a black silver filly from MVF. So the future will be exciting for silvers in general!!!

8Homozygous silver? Empty Re: Homozygous silver? 8/24/2009, 10:12 am

Silver Spring Farm

accphotography wrote:Yeah come to think of it I don't know of any colts carrying it from that line either.

Oh I am going to PRAY that Talia's mare Bella has a ZZ colt. *faints* *drools*

ACC

LOL! I'm thinking I will probably faint too... Might need a 3rd party to share the announcements once those foals start hitting the ground.

9Homozygous silver? Empty Re: Homozygous silver? 2/25/2010, 10:53 am

silverlady

silverlady

If you have a look in the 'Getting To Know You' section, I posted some pics for Brumby and one of them is of her ZZ stallion.
I think he's a quarter horse cross.

10Homozygous silver? Empty Homozygous Silvers 4/28/2010, 3:43 pm

Hello,

I am new to the forum, but I have a question. I have read in Sponnenberg's book that the silver gene may somehow be connected to vision anomalies and that homozygosity of silver can actually be linked to vision problems. Does anyone know what the vision issues are? And has anything further been learned about this issue?

I have four black mares (two Friesians and two Arabs) and I would LOVE to breed one of them in hopes of getting a silver. (I am in love with DonnerMight.) I just want to understand any health implications first.

Thanks so much,
Erika

11Homozygous silver? Empty Re: Homozygous silver? 4/29/2010, 9:44 pm

accphotography

Admin

The only health implications of a HETEROzygous silver are cilliary cysts which leave the horse virtually unaffected. The homozygotes can definitely have problems though.

12Homozygous silver? Empty Re: Homozygous silver? 12/10/2012, 11:37 am

celticmist

celticmist

Ive always been told that visually theres no difference between homozygous silvers and hetro silvers , Id like to actually see a few pics of ( tested) homozygous horses to see for myself

http://www.celticmistminiaturehorses.com

13Homozygous silver? Empty Re: Homozygous silver? 2/22/2013, 4:07 pm

ccastleberry

The main reason a lot of people are looking for homozygous silver would be breeding - you know you'll get a silver foal. That was my reasoning anyway. There are quite a few in the RMH/KMSH breeds.

14Homozygous silver? Empty Re: Homozygous silver? 3/1/2013, 3:51 am

Danni

Danni

There's a few ZZ Australia Stock horses, so there are some in big horses with homo silver, also the Comtois.

The major eye problems in homozygous silvers are very rare, but there is no doubt that they can happen. Any homozygous silvers I've seen, seem fairly normal. I have a homozygous silver shetland.

http://www.gypsyhorsesaustralia.com/

15Homozygous silver? Empty Re: Homozygous silver? 3/5/2013, 5:10 pm

Leona2007

Leona2007

I too am new to this forum. I have an American Quarter. She is black with two white feet. I sent a hair sample to be tested to see if there was a possibility of breeding her and getting a chocolate palomino. Her results are in and she is Ee/aa. If anyone has a registered Quarter Horse that passes the silver trait then I am interested! They sure are a pretty col
or. bounce

16Homozygous silver? Empty Re: Homozygous silver? 3/5/2013, 5:29 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin

Leona2007 wrote:
I too am new to this forum. I have an American Quarter. She is black with two white feet. I sent a hair sample to be tested to see if there was a possibility of breeding her and getting a chocolate palomino. Her results are in and she is Ee/aa. If anyone has a registered Quarter Horse that passes the silver trait then I am interested! They sure are a pretty col
or. bounce

Where are you located? Are you looking for an stallion to breed your mare to or are you looking for a silver horse? Feel free to post a want ad.

Also are you wanting a chocolate palomino or a silver. There are different dilutions genes at work for the different colors.

http://www.silverequine.com

17Homozygous silver? Empty Re: Homozygous silver? 3/5/2013, 5:46 pm

Leona2007

Leona2007

I am sad to admit I have no idea which, the palomino or silver, would product the color I truly wish for; but the silver seems to be the color that would best fit. Thank you so much.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum